How to perform the exercise
- Stand straight with your feet hip width apart, arms fully extended and your hands by your sides.
- Raise your left foot from the floor, extending your leg out in front of you.
- As you do so, raise both arms out in front of you in a smooth arc for balance. This is the start position.
- In a controlled movement, lower your body toward the floor by bending your right knee while pushing your hips back as if sitting down in a chair.
- Continue this downward movement until your right thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position by pushing down through your right heel and straightening your leg. Lower your arms to the start position as you do so.